Wednesday 13 February 2013

Update by Thomas Coville on his injury during the Cadiz - San Salvador record attempt

From the following article (in French)
 
 
Here is the Bing translation pretty rough but you get the idea.
 
12/02/2013

Tom: I returned the cockpit crawling

Last Tuesday, Thomas had put the cap on the Azores and abandon its record attempt on Atlantic due to a nasty injury to his left leg. A part of his team then moved immediately to the island of Sao Miguel.
The next evening, the transfer is made in a few minutes. Thomas has landed while four crew took the controls of the trimaran. The crew then rallied the France under optimal weather conditions, achieving even a day with 625 thousand meter! Saturday night, Sodebo joined her home port of la Trinité-sur-Mer where it will wait to return to the business of his skipper.

For his part, Thomas spent five days in the Hospital of Ponta Delgada. Edema could finally deflate influenced, inter alia, of antibiotics and the pain is diminished. The final examinations have confirmed that the sailor could fly to France, what he has done this afternoon. The athlete must then take his pain in patience and to comply with the requirement of a forced rest.

With hindsight, marin returned to these long hours to handle his trimaran solo despite intense pain. ' Have continued the crossing after the shock has not improved things because I would have had to live in the horizontal, "he admits. "I did not knock me painkillers to not fall asleep and keep a clear head. I therefore continued to lead Sodebo solo and even changed twice the gennaker. After an acrobatic maneuver to the front of the boat, I have regained the cockpit crawling on the net with my arms. The pain was too strong and I clearly saw the limits. Stop me was the only solution. I was then very well treated at the hospital. My foot still made me suffer as long as I had not taken anticoagulants which led, finally, to relieve me.

No comments:

Post a Comment