Wednesday 13 November 2013

Thomas Coville departs on the maxi trimaran Sodebo in pursuit of the solo multihull round the world record

From the following article (in French) on sodebo.fr

http://www.sodebo.fr/voile/actualites/article/thomas-joint-19h

and the rough bing translate below:

12/11/2013
Thomas joined at 7 p.m.
 
While the Sun is set aboard the maxi-trimaran Sodebo launched currently to more than 27 nodes in the Bay of Biscay, the skipper took the time to take stock of his first hours at sea in solitaire:
 
"It is always difficult to leave. My children grow up. We must explain things, talk more. I thought me harder as they get older but this is not the case! I was quite moved and it goes very fast. Of a sudden, you drop the mooring lines and the faces disappear. It is very intense and very stealth.
 
Then it's always scary to let them jump to the water (members of the technical team that accompanied the skipper aboard up to one hour prior to departure), you're always afraid that they hurt themselves with speed.
 
After the line, I've seen away Ouessant, the last land I'll see maybe before Cape Horn. There, I've been overflown by a gust of the French army, it was nice. And then it was the turn of an aircraft of the customs that I know well and who flew over Oman (Air-Musandam, trimaran' 70 currently engaged on the Transat Jacques Vabre) a few days ago. And finally, a fisherman welcomed me to the VHF. A nice moment. I have tremendous respect for these professionals who spend their lives at sea.
 
And there, I'm alone but I do realize that I'm leaving for so long.
 
I have a first gybe to around midnight. I've released a ris in the afternoon and will surely take it in a few hours when the wind will pick. I attack my first night after a beautiful sunset. The moon rose and the stars begin to shine around me. I was well hydrated and ate a little. Not much because I was still knotted but then, I'm going back to eat. »

The tracker for this record attempt is now live:

http://sodebo-tdm.addviso.org/fr/
  

No comments:

Post a Comment